Historical Photos of Old Calabasas….
|(Late 1920s)^ – Second Calabasas School on property in 24400 block of Calabasas Road, circa late 1920s. Built in the 1924-1925 school year, it was a one-teacher school until June 1948.|
|Historical NotesIn 1947, the Calabasas School District joined Liberty, Cornell and Las Virgenes to form a unified school district. In 1950, the school building and three acres were sold to Charles Mureau. Subsequent modifications for tenants, including their current (1984) Pelican’s Retreat restaurant, have left only the front wall of the original building, the retaining wall and the steps up from the road.^|
|(1929)* – Exterior of the Leonis Adobe at 23530 Ventura Blvd. in Calabasas. Miguel Leonis occupied the adobe intermittently as a ranch house. Wooden additions at the rear were added in 1919. For a number of years it was part of Warner Bros. ranch properties and resided in by actor John Carradine and family. In 1965 it was one of the few remnants of the San Fernando Valley’s heritage standing in original form. Built in 1844.|
|Historical NotesLeonis Adobe is one of only four surviving adobe residences remaining in the San Fernando Valley. When the Los Angeles Cultural HItorical Board was formed in 1962, Leonis Adobe was the first designated as a Historic-Cultural Monument (Click HERE to see the LA Historic-Cultural Monuments List). By 2007, there were nearly 900 separately numbered sites that had received the designation, but Leonis Adobe has the prestige of having been designated as Historic-Cultural Monument #1. In 1975, the adobe was listed on the National Register of Historical Places.^|
|(ca. 1930s)^ – Kramer’s grocery store on Calabasas Road, Calabasas, circa 1930’s. This store was originally owned by Charles Cooper and was known as Cooper’s. After he died, his widow, Alice, married Laurence Kramer and they renamed it Kramer’s. Kramer owned and operated the store until he retired in 1968.|
|(ca. 1936)* – Exterior view of the Oak Garage, a gas station and auto repair garage on Calabasas Road in Calabasas. A bell marker identifying El Camino Real is visible on the left side of the image. Calabasas Road is partially visible in the background on the right. The garage is named for the oak tree, known as “Hangman’s Oak”, whose limb is seen across the top of the image. The tree was used for hangings at the Calabasas Jail, which used to stand near the site shown here.|